7.16.2007

the henry rollins story

first off, i look back over the pictures i just posted and miss chicago a little bit. if anyone from saatchi is reading this, would you just comment a "hey!" or something and let me know? it would make me quite glad.

secondly, my plane from arkansas to LAX takes off in a little under 24 hours. a good friend of mine commented on saturday that a week from then, i'll have everything figured out. it's so odd how true that is. by next saturday, i'll likely be unpacked, know at least three names (my roommates for sure--hiya katelyn, rebekah and carmen--yay facebook), know how to get to and from school, and all that crazy jazz. all in a week from now. a week ago i hadn't started packing.

but now! the story of henry rollins.

it's my first week at saatchi. i'm so jumpy and eager-to-please and do something good and right, i'm sure i'm annoying the office. andy, someone in the right rank to tell just about anybody in the office what to do, comes to me one afternoon and asks me to find a downloadable version of the theme song from the henry rollins show. simple enough, i say. i start searching, and realize this is going to be harder than i thought. i know then that rollins was a musical artist, spoken word artist/standup comedian, author, show host, etc., not to mention physically imposing enough to make me more than my fair share of nervous, but all around, a reasonable and cool fellow. what i didn't realize was how big his body of work is and how difficult it would be to just get the opening of this show--which i have never seen--isolated, considering anyone wanting to watch an online segment isn't interested in how it starts. i'm bouncing around from site to site, and i come across one that lists contact information to rollins himself. right. i think. this email address goes to henry rollins. just sitting here on my desktop. plain as day on this webpage. riiight..
but, i'm running out of options and it's getting late in the day. i keep the window open as a hypothetical last-ditch effort if nothing else pans out. i mean, even if the email goes to some crazy fan, the fan might be able to help me. as the time dwindles out, the email looks more and more viable. on my way out that evening, i shoot an email to him, briefly stating who i am and what i'm looking for. i log out and go home.
the next morning, i check my email first, almost forgetting the previous day. much to my surprise, there's an email waiting for me from the rollins address. exactly what was said will be lost to future generations--it slipped through the internet cracks when i switched email addresses. but he wrote me back, and the whole office was pretty convinced it was legit. i emailed him back how impressed i was that he actually answered my questions, and his response was pretty much that it shouldn't be. awesome.

and that is the story of how i emailed henry rollins.

1 comment:

Linda Kay said...

This is my first visit to your blog. I read every word w/ great relish and refuse to type responses w/o capital letters - too difficult for old eyes to translate!

I rest my case: you are a writer.

With great love and admiration for the daughter I'll soon be missing... xxooMom