8.23.2007

singing and anzac bicuits

today was a wholly extraordinary day.

all the music majors at uni (that's university for the septics) have to take a class called concert practice, which is exactly what it sounds like. a handful of students prepare a song or two and perform in front of the rest of the class, as if putting on a small concert. my friend joel (the same fellow who nicknamed me) was performing a song and let me be one of two girls singing backup vocals for him. i got to sing in front of a crowd! i haven't done that since i was in high school, and have really missed it. i had someone take a video, and i'll upload it soon. it wasn't anything too special from anyone else's standards, but for me, it was a lot of fun--i'm not even sure i did well!

then, i came home and got talked into making anzac biscuits. anzac biscuits are basically oatmeal cookies, but way better and way more australian. no raisins. basically "golden" (pancake) syrup, oats, brown sugar, coconut and butter. it's awesome. and, according to all the aussies in the room, i did a fantastic job. i mean, i had to add heaps of butter and more syrup to make them stick together (honestly, i don't fully trust the recipe i was given, really), but they turned out great. i'm so proud of myself.
i decided in the middle of making them that i'm going to get really good at it and memorize the recipe. ask me to make some for you when i get back!

much love. pray for me this weekend, i have a lot of work to do and am not sure how i'm going to get it all done. the ascers are also visiting a mosque tomorrow. it'll be interesting--i'm learning how to construct a headcovering out of a big scarf--also a happy skill to bring home.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi! It's Jenny! I got really excited when I saw that you were going to a Mosque and making a Hijab out of a scarf. Oh Mere, the women you are going to meet are so BEAUTIFUL. Remember to tell them that you are a follower of Christ, rather than a Christian (if they ask)...OOOOO! I wish I could be there with you!! love!

3 said...

Mere! I soo will give her a hug from you. And I appreciate your encouragement. And I am still reading you, even if it has been in bursts and not a stream. I have gotten such a kick out of your relayed adventures in Oz. I'll be starting my next leg soon, and that's guaranteed to be interesting.

I would start another sentence with a conjunction, but the English gods would smite me, no doubt.